Laser Squad is a turn-based tactics video game, originally released for the ZX Spectrum and later for the Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC, MSX, Amiga and Atari ST and PC computers between 1988 and 1992. It was designed by Julian Gollop and his team at Target Games (later Mythos Games and Codo Technologies) and published by Blade Software, expanding on the ideas applied in their previous Rebelstar series of games. Play Laser Squad online!
Laser Squad game description
In Laser Squad you control a group of space marine-like soldiers (and the occasional cyborg). Before taking them into battle (viewed from above and progressing in turns), you must buy them weapons and armour with a predetermined amount of credits, taking into account the individual abilities of your squad. Unlike X-COM, the soldiers do not gain experience over time.
The game also features a two player hotseat multiplayer option.
Initial ZX Spectrum release (and C64 & Amstrad CPC cassette tape releases) had three missions:
- 1: The Assassins – where you must face down Sterner Regnix and his guards
- 2: Moonbase Assault – which challenges you to destroy the OmniCorp database
- 3: Rescue from the Mines – eschew violence in favour of a rescue mission
Two more scenarios were available via mail order, later releases by Blade Software and subsequent ports already included them:
- 4: The Cyber Hordes – defend a rebel station and its seven stabilizer cores from an advancing imperial droid invasion
- 5: Paradise Valley – following the destruction of the stabilizer cores, escape from the colony with the device containing blueprints for advanced rebel starfighter
Two additional missions were released with mail order expansion kit.
Play Laser Squad online
You can play Laser Squad online here, in web browser for free!