It began in 2005 with the simple purpose of being a generic Sonic 1 for Sega Genesis with increase difficulty and revamped versions of the original levels. But now, it’s going to present a completely new gaming experience with a new style of level layouts full of paths everywhere among new enemies, new objects, new character abilities, new menus, completely different styles of the Sonic 1 special stages and much more!
This time, the Sonic 1 original zones gave place to new zones with unique art and a different pleasure to the eyes. The music is also being reformed to give a better ear-hearing experience, now less amateur and more like what a Sonic game must be.
Charactes can glide, climb, fly, swim and homing attack everywhere but the same time these are their generic abilities, they work slightly different to make the levels more explorative and fun to play. Smashing blocks, smashing ceilings, smashing walls and smashing enemies is what will make you positively shocked with how the game has absolutely nothing to do with its predecessor “Sonic 1 Harder Levels“.
Gameplay now focuses in the new “characters alternation” gameplay methodology, so to proceed in the game you’ll need to know each behavior from each of the three characters available on it if you don’t want to be completely stuck or lost into the mazes of the game’s explorative sections.
Changes to the game include layouts, sprite mappings, new levels, a fixed engine, new sound effects and new music. The game also features some Master System features.
Sonic And The Mystic Gems storyline
Unsatisfied by his last defeat, Robotnik sought for other methods to kick Sonic off his way. While he was looking for the Chaos Emeralds, he found another source of energy which seems to be powerful like those emeralds. This source of power is known as Mystic Gems.
As opposite of the chaos emeralds, they have an destructive evil power. If he gets access to these gems he can rule the world. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles now have to prevent Robotnik from find this evil power, so there’s how this new adventure begins. There’s a expert plan to take over South Island with robots and courses, but Sonic and his friends will not let the doctor to conclude it easily.
Sonic And The Mystic Gems features
- New splash screens
- Sonic, Tails and Knuckles have levels made according to the usage of their modified habilities.
- An Options menu where difficulty, character and playlist can be choosen as long as the new Music Theater can be accessed
- Game mode select (Original Mode and Harder Mode)
- Game soundtrack (Mystic Gems Originals, Dj. Joker27 Customs, Retro Style and a Random Playlist based on songs from each playlist)
- Initial Character Select (Sonic, Tails And Knuckles)
- Music theater that shows notes and music names and give the option to enable or disable channels to interact with them
- New title screen
- A save data selection screen (that was cut from the current demo)
- And more. A lot more!